While kpop once like it was solidly a South Korean thing, it seems to be growing in popularity around the world. We can attribute a lot of the more mainstream attention kpop is now receiving from the worldwide success of BTS (aka the Bangtan Boys, aka Bulletproof Boy Scouts), a group of seven young men with bowl haircuts who sing, rap, and dance. (I just saw them doing a dance video with Jimmy Fallon)
There are those out there who would call them the biggest boy band in the world right now.
While they focus primarily on hip hop music, the band also explores relevant social topics, such as mental health and bullying. This has definitely been a reason for the near cult following of their fans (the “ARMY”).
But not everyone understands fans’ obsession with BTS (or kpop in general). From the outside, it just looks like any old sugary pop performance….a bunch of young Asian men wearing a lot of makeup, jumping and dancing around on stage, reminiscent of the boy bands of olden days (Backstreet Boys, N’Sync, New Kids on the Block).
Kpop lovers frequently get hate on social media, and ribbing from friends (or foes). The non-believers like stars like the members of BTS feminine, girly, or even make comments about their orientation.
In this post, we’ll talk about some of the comebacks you can potentially use against kpop haters.
After all, it is way easier to respond with a witty or pithy comeback when you’ve prepped ahead of time. I almost NEVER think of any of these on the fly.
First of all, orientation is just a lame way to make fun of people, and you can respond to this.
In general, it says a lot more about the person who makes jokes or makes fun of people because of their sexual orientation. Anyone who is calling out kpop stars as “gay” or “bi” or any other hateful version of name calling for orientation is showing off their ignorance and their own personal beliefs.
You can respond to any comments about the assumptions of the stars’ orientation like this:
- Do you even know what that means?
- You do realize that what you are saying is hurtful.
- Using those words to tease is harassment and unacceptable.
- It isn’t okay to use those words as a put-down. If you don’t like the music or the band, that’s fine. Just say so.
- It doesn’t matter if it is true, or if you think it, I just don’t want to hear it.
- Doesn’t matter who they want to be with, so long as their music is good!
- Do you even know enough about them to judge them?
- That’s your opinion. Doesn’t change mine.
- Those words make you sound very stupid.
- Jealousy is a disease. Get well soon.
A lot of people hate on kpop with lame, graphic, curse-filled language.
You don’t have to stoop to their level. In fact, when someone uses language that is full or curse words (or even really hate filled words), it is best not to go head to head with them. These people are looking for a reaction from you, and you are better off taking the high road and not letting them know how much their comments get to you. Here are some simple, polite responses to really hateful comments:
- Then don’t watch them.
- Then don’t listen to their music.
- No one forces you to listen/watch them.
- Millions of people beg to differ.
- Cool story, bro.
- If they are that bad, they won’t stick around. Let’s just see what happens.
Focus on their actual accomplishments and talents.
A lot of people don’t realize what kpop stars like BTS have done or are actually doing. You can roll out all your knowledge, such as record sales, countries performed, number of fans on youtube/twitter/TikTok/Insta, etc.
You can also respond with details about their music, or information about their actual musical talent.
In general though, if someone is hating on your favorite kpop star and isn’t willing to hear any actual details about the artist, then it is pretty pointless to try and convince them logically. Haters gonna hate, no matter what you have to say.
Best off then to ignore, or if you can’t help yourself, respond with something witty (examples below).
Other replies to kpop haters you might want to try out…
- Maybe you just need to take a break.
- Nobody likes you.
- Are you okay? You seem upset.
- Your comment is very NO by the way.
- You are not the boss of me, I can like what I want.
- Not all heroes wear capes.
- What? Do you this Americans are the only ones with boy bands?
- I hope all the mosquitoes find you tonight.
- I just know what I like.
- I don’t have to understand Korean to enjoy the music.
- I’m sure they are laughing all the way to the bank.
- You are the reason shampoo has directions on the bottle.
- Grab a straw, because you suck.
- Haters gonna hate.
- Your boyfriend loves them.
- I checked my receipt. I didn’t buy any of your BS.
- I don’t treat people badly, I treat them accordingly.
- Is your drama going to have an intermission soon? I need a snack.
- My alone time is for your safety.
- Too bad you can’t photoshop an ugly personality.
- I’m sorry I hurt your feelings when I called you stupid. i thought you already knew.
- Don’t like them? Does it look like I care?
- No, no, please keep your stupid to yourself.
- Um, I think you have the wrong floor, because you are so not on my level.
- I tried to put myself in your shoes, but they were ugly, just like you.
- If you worked out as much as you ran your mouth, you’d be in great shape.
- I don’t hate you, I’m just not excited that you exist.
- Awww….my middle finger likes you.
- The trash gets picked up tomorrow. You should be ready.
- Unless your name is Google, stop acting like you know everything.
- I’d slap you, but that would be animal abuse.
- If laughter is the best medicine, your face must be helping cure the planet.
- Have a nice day….somewhere else.
- Oh sure, you are smart. Sesame Street smart.
- I wish more people were fluent in silence.
- I’d agree with you, but then we’d both be wrong.
- If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
- The jerk store called, they are running out of you.
- You are the reason nobody likes you.
- You have the rest of your life to be a jerk. Why not take today off?
- Wow, I bet you even fart glitter.
- Do you have an Off button?
- The word listen contains the same letters as the word silent.
- Oh really? Do tell me how you have come by this expertise.
- Whoa, I know you have fantasies, but keep them to yourself.
- If I typed “idiot” into Google, would your photo be in the results?
- I’m sure that 90% of your beauty could be removed with a Kleenex.
- Maybe you should eat some makeup….then you’d be pretty on the inside.
- I may not be perfect but at least I am not you.
What is your favorite reply to kpop haters?
Let us know in the comments section below.
Emily Anderson is a mother of three children, all under the age of 10. Located in the Pacific Northwest of the US, Emily is a mom and part-time blogger, jumping in front of the computer when the kids are sleeping. She started this blog in April of 2019 and is proud that the blog is now paying for itself. If you want to know about her journey as a blogger, check out out her personal digital journal or her post about failing her way to blogging success.